Sunday, April 11, 2010

Garden, Symphony, and Loneliness

Today, the folks had these guys over from early morning until late afternoon. They savaged the garden and my good old treehouse is going to go, too. Check out this video I took of them. I helped move a woodpile, worked off some time that I owe mom.




I tried all day to find someone to go with me to the Symphony. Brian was supposed to go, but we don't know what happened. He didn't sound right when I called. He didn't speak into the phone. Mom called later and she said he said only a few words, like, "Oh, yeah. I can't go. I was going to call." So, I called some of my other trusty friends, but no one could go. Violet was going to go, but she had a sleepover last night and was too tired.

The Symphony really cheered me up. It was Gounod, his ballet music from Faust. I enjoyed it as if I were dancing to the music. I imagined a carousel organ. A lot of the composers whose music is in carousel organs sounded like this. Then, we got to hear Duncan Sheik, the song suite from Whisper House. At first, I was disappointed because it sounded so like a modern Hollywood musical. But then my teacher explained that this is music that is very unusual for the San Francisco Symphony. I appreciated it more after that.

Last, was Vivier, his "Zipangu." That is an early name for Japan. It was mostly violins, cellos, and bases. They stayed on particular notes and it sounded like electronic music. It was kind of like something I'd expect to hear from John Cage. After that, we heard Poulenc. I love Poulenc. It had a similar vibe to Mozart. That would make sense since Poulenc is heavily influenced by Mozart.

No comments:

Post a Comment